Pictures: Brad Pitt joins Jolie at ExCel sexual abuse summit
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Brad Pitt added his star power to the fight against ending sexual abuse in war zones this morning.
The actor accompanied his wife Angelina Jolie, who is a UN special envoy, to the End Sexual Violence in Conflict conference which is being held at the ExCel exhibition centre in Custom House.
In a speech to open Ministers’ day, Jolie, who is co-hosting the event with Foreign Secretary William Hague, urged governmental leaders to work together.
“These crimes of sexual violence are bigger than any one conflict or national interest,” she said.
“And for all the things we struggle to agree upon as nations, the abhorrence of rape cannot be one of them.”
The Foreign Secretary said eradicating sexual violence in conflict zones was a “matter of our common humanity”.
“It may take as many years or more to reach our goals, but every concrete step we take helps to erode the culture of impunity, to relieve survivors of their stigma and suffering, and to deter future perpetrators,” he added.
- 1 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 4 'Important' to get back to winning ways for West Ham says Lanzini
- 5 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 6 West Ham showed great character and resilience to beat Chelsea says Moyes
- 7 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Possible travel disruptions for central London this week
- 10 The gift of giving: Where to donate food across east London this Christmas
Representatives from than 123 countries are in attendance at ExCel today, with discussions organised for this afternoon including enhancing military and peacekeeping capability.