Picture special: ‘Firefighter Olympics’ in Custom House
Fire crews from around the world competed against each other in Custom House at the weekend in the first ever ‘firefighter Olympics’.
Teams from as far apart as Ireland and New Zealand went hose-to-hose in the World Rescue Challenge at ExCeL London.
The free, family event pitted ultra fit firefighters against each other in a number of disciplines designed to show off what other skills crews excel at when are they not extinguishing fires.
Both days featured rope challenges with firefighters rescuing people from cranes; extrication challenges with actors pulled out of crashed cars made to look like they have been involved in a serious accident with make up and prosthetics; urban search and rescue demonstrations with firefighters rescuing people from rubble; and a spectacular parachutist crash landing in the Docks with rescue teams on speedboats.
This year’s World Rescue Challenge featured a number of firsts such as rapping firefighters performing for the crowds, penalty shoot outs with community staff at West Ham United, a cook off between stations - with a helping hand from the catering students at Newham College - and a number of sweltering demonstrations to see what happens when you throw water over a deep fat fryer.
You may also want to watch:
Families also met the canine stars of many crews, the special fire dogs, who are often used in investigations to discover the causes of blazes, and they also got the chance to walk around Community Safety World, a life-sized house where children can learn fire prevention tips.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 7 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 8 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 9 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 10 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k