Petition launched to reopen Beckton community centre
- Credit: Archant
A Beckton community leader has launched a petition to try and reopen a well-used community centre.
Although half of the Winsor Park Community Centre, in Warwall, remains open as a local training centre, the neighbouring building was closed 18 months ago by owners East Thames Group.
Formerly home to a range of groups for young and elderly alike, Syed Ahmed, 42 believes the people of Winsor Park estate are suffering without it.
“It’s a very upsetting situation because it was a very well-used community centre,” he told the Recorder.
“It’s really sad to see young people with nothing to do and leads to criminal activity and anti-social behaviour.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to see this centre reopened for the people of this community because it was used by so many, from the elderly to the very young.”
Together with the backing of a range of groups, who insist they will finance themselves, Syed, a youth and community worker for a neighbouring borough, launched a petition on Monday calling for the Stratford-based housing group to reopen the centre.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 8 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
A spokesperson for East Thames confirmed that while number 20 remains in use, number 18 has is is currently not tenanted.
He said: “At present we have no plans to re-open this building, but are looking at how it could be best used to benefit the community.
“We continue to support the residents at Winsor Park by offering an employment and training service, nursery and flexible space for local groups to hire at the community centre just next door, and would be happy to discuss any ideas that local people may have to improve this offer.”