‘People’s Museum and Gallery of Newham’ tells 100 years of residents’ stories
More than a century of Newham stories will be told at a pop up museum in Stratford through a series of local exhibitions, workshops and talks.
‘People’s Museum and Gallery of Newham’ held a launch night on High Street to announce the opening of a space dedicated to documenting and preserving the stories of the borough.
Curated by Newham-based charity Eastside Community Heritage (ECH), the night attracted both East Ham MP Stephen Timms and West Ham MP Lyn Brown alongside Newham Council’s executive member for regeneration and strategic planning Cllr Conor McAuley.
Star of the evening was ECH director Judith Garfield, recently awarded an MBE for her work in community heritage in the most recent Queen’s Birthday Honours, and visitors were greeted with the Stratford Village Artists Photographic Exhibition and an exhibition by Mike Steel displaying a portion of the extensive work he has done photographing the Olympic Park site before development.
Opening to the public from Thursday until the end of October, the ‘People’s Museum and Gallery of Newham’ aims to tell working class stories of the last century through a programme of workshops, exhibitions, films, and talks.
You may also want to watch:
Highlights include a talk by documentary photographer Mike Steel, workshops with Stratford Village Artist Alison Marchant, exhibitions on Brick Lane and Hackney Wick, long time East End resident Ted Lewis talking about his work at Billingsgate Fish Market, a lecture by local historian and chair of ECH Geoff Bell, and a talk by Robert Rogers about the West Ham Speedway.
‘People’s Museum and Gallery of Newham’ is at 306 High Street, Stratford, E15 1AJ.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
For more information about the programme of events, visit www.hidden-histories.org.uk/wordpress.