Pensioners’ protest in Stratford against fuel poverty
Pensioners have chosen Westfield Stratford City to protest today against fuel poverty in the wake of price rises announced by several energy providers.
The noon event is organised by the Greater London Pensioners Association and supported by direct-action group Fuel Poverty Action, who last winter staged a series of Warm Up protests and occupations.
The huge development at Stratford was targetted because in the organiser’s words “it’s toasty” - warm.
The Association is demanding that the government reinstate the Winter Fuel Allowance in full, that the energy companies reinvest in affordable, cleaner and safer energy supplies and use their profits to do so, instead of putting the cost onto the consumer.
Betty Cottingham from the GLPA said the group is extremely concerned “at the thousands of preventable deaths in this country which are attributable to the cold and outraged at the continuing weak response of the government.”
You may also want to watch:
The spokeasperson continued “Traditionally people have gravitated to places which are warm and sheltered - most often shopping centres, buses and libraries- in order to delay putting on the heating at home. The shutting down of day centres and luncheon clubs has left the housebound with no alternative options to stay warm.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 6 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project