Pc Nina Mackay honoured in Stratford on 15th anniversary of death
Flowers were laid in Stratford to mark the 15th anniversary of the death of police constable Nina Mackay.
Pc Mackay, 25, suffered fatal stab injuries as she and other officers from the police’s Territorial Support Group went to arrest a wanted man at a flat in Arthingworth Street on October 24, 1997.
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales, Nick Bracken, Newham Council’s Divisional Director- Enforcement & Safety, and police officers placed tributes at the memorial erected at the housing association block where she was stabbed.
Sir Robin said: “Police officers put on their uniform every day and risk their lives to protect us. Some pay the ultimate price to ensure our safety. We must never forget their bravery and commitment. This is an occasion to remember Nina and the courage that she showed.”
Detective Superintendent Helen Millichap said: “Nina was a remarkable young woman, open minded, vivacious and determined. Her loss demonstrates the unquestioned bravery and devotion which officers display every day in protecting the people of Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
A road close to the stabbing scene has been named Nina Mackay Close in her memory. Pc Mackay is also remembered at the Metropolitan Police memorial garden in Hendon by a Valiant Heart rose named after her.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex