Paula Radcliffe supporting Great Runners
- Credit: Archant
In May, marathon champion Paula Radcliffe unveiled her six Great Runners, who she would mentor for the Great Newham London Run.
With just two days to go, Vicki Read, general manager of Newham Leisure Centre, has told how the world record holder has been supporting the group.
“We’re all part of a WhatsApp group, and Paula sends us messages every three days or so,” she said.
“We go to her if we’ve got any questions as well, and we’re meeting Paula in the morning before the run for a pep talk.”
Vicki, 43, explained that her training was shaped by her job at the Prince Regent Lane leisure centre.
She said: “I’ve been doing a lot of cross-training, and I’ve been taking part in classes.
“I’ve also got the track outside, and I’ve run around the Olympic Park a few times too.”
- 1 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 6 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 7 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 8 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 9 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 10 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
Vicki’s family will be coming to Stratford to watch her take part in Sunday’s 10k run, which finishes in the Olympic Stadium.
“I initially wanted to do it under the hour,” she said, “but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do that so my new target time is one hour 10.”
Vicki will be joined by fellow Newham Great Runner Paula Blake, who works for Community Links, and four other women from across the capital in putting Paula’s training advice to the test.