Paula Radcliffe supporting Great Runners
- Credit: Archant
In May, marathon champion Paula Radcliffe unveiled her six Great Runners, who she would mentor for the Great Newham London Run.
With just two days to go, Vicki Read, general manager of Newham Leisure Centre, has told how the world record holder has been supporting the group.
“We’re all part of a WhatsApp group, and Paula sends us messages every three days or so,” she said.
“We go to her if we’ve got any questions as well, and we’re meeting Paula in the morning before the run for a pep talk.”
Vicki, 43, explained that her training was shaped by her job at the Prince Regent Lane leisure centre.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “I’ve been doing a lot of cross-training, and I’ve been taking part in classes.
“I’ve also got the track outside, and I’ve run around the Olympic Park a few times too.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham
Vicki’s family will be coming to Stratford to watch her take part in Sunday’s 10k run, which finishes in the Olympic Stadium.
“I initially wanted to do it under the hour,” she said, “but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do that so my new target time is one hour 10.”
Vicki will be joined by fellow Newham Great Runner Paula Blake, who works for Community Links, and four other women from across the capital in putting Paula’s training advice to the test.