Paschal to welcome Pope Benedict
EXCITEMENT and nerves will be mingling in equal measures as Paschal Uche makes his final preparations to welcome Pope Benedict today.
He will be joining thousands of young people at Westminster Cathedral where the Pope will celebrate Mass during his historic four-day visit to Britian.
Paschal will be welcoming the Holy Father, who is only the second ever Pope to visit Britain, with a short speech. Of course, the 21-year-old Pharmacy student is every excited at the honour.
He said: “I couldn’t believe I’d been asked. Its very, very exciting. I am going to be standing just a few feet from the Pope and I’m very privileged and honoured to be sharing a platform with him.”
He is a youth representative at St Francis of Assisi Church in Stratford and was chosen by Father Dominic, a member of the planning committee for the visit, for his work at the church.
You may also want to watch:
Paschal recently took part in a Papal visit preparation day organised by Brentwood Catholic Youth Service for parish youth representatives from across Brentwood Diocese.
Paschal, who is studying for a degree in pharmacy at Nottingham University, will welcome the Pope with a short speech highlighting the work done by young people up and down the country.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 7 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 West Ham boss Moyes wants his side to show they can compete with the big boys
- 10 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
Are you going to London to see the Pope? Do you have a storyo to tell? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us your experiences of the Pope’s historic visit.