Parents’ fears over metal fans near nursery in Stratford
It might look harmless from afar but this phone cabinet sparked alarm among parents in Stratford.
The top of the green, waist high unit in Colegrave Road, was damaged, leaving three constantly whirring metal fans exposed.
The cabinet is close to Chandos Day Nursery.
Parent Sarfraz Hassanjee, from Plaistow, saw the uncovered fans when picking up his two-year-old daughter Aaliyah from the nursery.
He said: “It was totally shocking to see it there like that. I put a stone on it and just bounced straight off. Can you imagine if a child had gone near it?.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hassanjee reported the damaged cabinet to Newham Council’s environmental health team. The fans have now been protected with a temporary cover.
The phone cabinet is believed to belong to a cable firm or several mobile phone operators.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
A BT engineer went to the scene last week and a spokesman said: “It appeared the metal grille on tip of the cabinet had been ripped out. A wooden box is now covering it.”