Search

Parents’ fears over metal fans near nursery in Stratford

PUBLISHED: 16:00 14 May 2012 | UPDATED: 16:31 14 May 2012

Damaged mobile phone cabinet found by parent in Stratford. The fans were left uncovered and sparked alarm

Damaged mobile phone cabinet found by parent in Stratford. The fans were left uncovered and sparked alarm

Archant

It might look harmless from afar but this phone cabinet sparked alarm among parents in Stratford.

The top of the green, waist high unit in Colegrave Road, was damaged, leaving three constantly whirring metal fans exposed.

The cabinet is close to Chandos Day Nursery.

Parent Sarfraz Hassanjee, from Plaistow, saw the uncovered fans when picking up his two-year-old daughter Aaliyah from the nursery.

He said: “It was totally shocking to see it there like that. I put a stone on it and just bounced straight off. Can you imagine if a child had gone near it?.”

Mr Hassanjee reported the damaged cabinet to Newham Council’s environmental health team. The fans have now been protected with a temporary cover.

The phone cabinet is believed to belong to a cable firm or several mobile phone operators.

A BT engineer went to the scene last week and a spokesman said: “It appeared the metal grille on tip of the cabinet had been ripped out. A wooden box is now covering it.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Newham Recorder