Paralympic Route Network to cease operation
The Paralympic Route Network (PRN) is to cease operation at midnight tonight.
The 36-mile network of roads connecting the venues of the Paralympic Games will be taken out of use ahead of Tuesday morning’s rush hour, although some road markings will take longer to remove.
All physical measures of the PRN, which included 8.7 miles of Games Lanes for the exclusive use of the Games Family, will be removed by Thursday morning.
Transport for London (TfL) said 97 per cent of motorists stayed out of the Games Lanes when they were in operation.
Garrett Emmerson, TfL’s chief operating officer surface transport, said: “The PRN has been instrumental in delivering the best Paralympic Games ever. With the help and patience of London’s motorists we successfully got all of the athletes and officials to their events, transported the world’s media around to the different venues across the capital and kept London moving and open for business.
“As promised, the Games Lanes were operated flexibly throughout the Games and only around 30 per cent were in operation at any one time. Compliance with the Games Lanes was very high and it is evident that Londoners used all the information made available to them to carefully plan their journeys to avoid disruption.
“We thank London’s motorists for their help in observing the temporary traffic restrictions, which enabled us to help deliver a fantastic Paralympic Games.”
- 1 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 5 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 6 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 7 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Man found on fire in East Ham park dies
- 10 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
Some sections of the PRN, including the section linking Blackwall Tunnel to ExCeL and the North Greenwich Arena, have already been removed as they were no longer required.