Paralympic Route Network to cease operation
The Paralympic Route Network (PRN) is to cease operation at midnight tonight.
The 36-mile network of roads connecting the venues of the Paralympic Games will be taken out of use ahead of Tuesday morning’s rush hour, although some road markings will take longer to remove.
All physical measures of the PRN, which included 8.7 miles of Games Lanes for the exclusive use of the Games Family, will be removed by Thursday morning.
Transport for London (TfL) said 97 per cent of motorists stayed out of the Games Lanes when they were in operation.
Garrett Emmerson, TfL’s chief operating officer surface transport, said: “The PRN has been instrumental in delivering the best Paralympic Games ever. With the help and patience of London’s motorists we successfully got all of the athletes and officials to their events, transported the world’s media around to the different venues across the capital and kept London moving and open for business.
“As promised, the Games Lanes were operated flexibly throughout the Games and only around 30 per cent were in operation at any one time. Compliance with the Games Lanes was very high and it is evident that Londoners used all the information made available to them to carefully plan their journeys to avoid disruption.
“We thank London’s motorists for their help in observing the temporary traffic restrictions, which enabled us to help deliver a fantastic Paralympic Games.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 6 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 7 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 8 Late Maupay equaliser holds West Ham to Brighton draw
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
Some sections of the PRN, including the section linking Blackwall Tunnel to ExCeL and the North Greenwich Arena, have already been removed as they were no longer required.