Over 75s urged to claim free TV licence
TV Licensing and Age UK are urging the over 75s in East London to make sure that they’re claiming their free TV Licence. It’s now easier to apply.
And if you live with someone aged over 75, their free licence will cover all the equipment in the property.
Over 30,400 East Londoners are among almost 3.9 million people across the UK who are already enjoying the concession, with a further 315 currently on a short term licence due to take up the benefit within the next year.
TV Licensing have been working with elderly advice groups to ensure the eligible don’t lose out.
Michelle Mitchell, charity director for Age UK, said: “Many older people live on low fixed incomes, so the free television licence for people aged 75 and over is a valuable entitlement.
You may also want to watch:
“Television offers many older people a vital source of information and entertainment, especially for those who find it hard to get out and about.
TV Licensing will also renew the licence automatically annually for 3 years,
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
Ian Fannon, TV Licensing spokesperson, said some residents may be contacted in the next few weeks to check that their details have not changed.
People applying for the first time, or those aged 74 needing a short term licence up to their 75th birthday, simply need to fill in a form at www.tvlicensing.co.uk/over75.
Alternatively, call 0300 790 6073, or write to TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL, giving their name, address, date of birth and National Insurance number.