Over 1,000 in Newham unaware they have diabetes
Over 1,000 people in Newham are estimated to have undiagnosed diabetes, according to health charity Diabetes UK.
More than 18,600 people in the borough have been diagnosed with a form of diabetes but around 1,200 are suspected of having Type Two diabetes where the body produces insufficient insulin which can go undetected for up to 10 years.
To spread awareness in the local area, Diabetes UK has trained up Diabetes Community Champions to teach people about the risk factors, symptoms, myths and misconceptions about the condition by holding events, giving talks, and encouraging people to be tested by their GP or pharmacist.
The Champions have been raising awareness in ethnic minority communities in particular where people of an African Carribean background are three times more likely to develop Type Two diabetes while South Asian people are six times more likely.
Juliet O’Brien, Diabetes UK north London diverse communities officer, said: “Diabetes Community Champions regularly get out to miniority ethnic communities, improving the understanding and awareness of diabetes and helping to identify people at risk of developing Type Two diabetes.
You may also want to watch:
“Diabetes is a serious condition that has potentially devastating complications if not diagnosed early enough or if it is not managed effectively.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 3 Leyton Orient linked with Omar Beckles, Connor Wood and Paul Smyth
- 4 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 5 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 8 Newham Muslim groups urge Boris Johnson to condemn attack in Canada
- 9 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 10 Leyton Orient sign defender Omar Beckles from Crewe Alexandra