Over 1,000 in Newham unaware they have diabetes
Over 1,000 people in Newham are estimated to have undiagnosed diabetes, according to health charity Diabetes UK.
More than 18,600 people in the borough have been diagnosed with a form of diabetes but around 1,200 are suspected of having Type Two diabetes where the body produces insufficient insulin which can go undetected for up to 10 years.
To spread awareness in the local area, Diabetes UK has trained up Diabetes Community Champions to teach people about the risk factors, symptoms, myths and misconceptions about the condition by holding events, giving talks, and encouraging people to be tested by their GP or pharmacist.
The Champions have been raising awareness in ethnic minority communities in particular where people of an African Carribean background are three times more likely to develop Type Two diabetes while South Asian people are six times more likely.
Juliet O’Brien, Diabetes UK north London diverse communities officer, said: “Diabetes Community Champions regularly get out to miniority ethnic communities, improving the understanding and awareness of diabetes and helping to identify people at risk of developing Type Two diabetes.
You may also want to watch:
“Diabetes is a serious condition that has potentially devastating complications if not diagnosed early enough or if it is not managed effectively.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation