Our guide to handling Christmas chaos in Newham
- Credit: PA WIRE
‘Tis the season to be jolly, but it’s difficult to be filled with festive goodwill when you and every other Londoner are on the hellish train of chaos that is the great Christmas getaway.
But have good cheer! Our handy guide below should help you to navigate the pitfalls of no trains on Boxing Day (c2c, Overground), and encourage you to check before you travel.
On a happy note, those bemoaning no trains on Christmas Day can take comfort in the availability of Santander cycles – on the unlikley occasion you’d like to burn off that delicious Christmas lunch.
Christmas Eve – Thursday, December 24
Tube: Normal service on all Tube lines, with services reduced after 5pm. The last trains will run earlier, on a Sunday timetable, except for the Waterloo & City line.
You may also want to watch:
DLR: Normal service on the DLR until 4pm, then off-peak service until 7.30pm and an evening service until the last train at 11pm.
Overground: Check the Transport for London (TfL) website for earlier last train times and replacement bus services. No service between Surrey Quays and New Cross, or between Clapham Junction and Kensington (Olympia). Replacement buses will run.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 6 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 9 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 10 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
c2c: Some services calling additionally at Stratford and additional services running. Services finish earlier then normal.
Christmas Day - Friday, December 25
No services on all lines
Boxing Day - Saturday, December 26
Tube: Restrictions on some lines, though services in Newham should be unaffected. Check before you travel.
DLR: Ten-minute service on all routes except between Tower Gateway and Beckton where trains will be diverted to Canary Wharf, and between Stratford International and Beckton where services will terminate at Canning Town. Replacement buses will run.
Overground: No service
c2c: No service. Monthly and longer period season ticket holders may use Ensignbus route 99 between Southend Travel Centre and Lakeside
For travel advice over the festive season, go to tfl.gov.uk/festive
Services may be subject to last-minute changes so check before leaving using Journey Planner on TfL’s homepage, or follow @TfLTravelAlerts on Twitter.