Our 7 top picks for Mayor’s Newham Show
PUBLISHED: 14:04 08 July 2015 | UPDATED: 15:11 08 July 2015
Carnival fever is afloat, as the borough warms up for its most hotly anticipated event of the year.
This weekend the Mayor’s Newham Show will transform East Ham’s Central Park into a hive of colour, music and activity.
As well as vintage displays marking 50 years since the borough’s foundation, the children’s stage, cabaret tent and the Newham Carnival on Saturday will be just some of the highlights on offer.
Here are seven things you’d be mad not to try:
1) Check out Britain’s Got Talent finalists IMD and Revelation Avenue on the main stage
2) Don’t miss out on the Newham Carnival, themed on the borough’s 50th anniversary, which will parade from the park and through the streets of East Ham from 2pm
3) Get your culinary hat on and head to a cooking demonstration in the village fête
4) Got young ‘uns with you? Take them for a donkey ride - or a helter-skelter. Who knows, maybe they’ll give the grown-ups a try too
5) Fancy a new ‘do, or just feeling buzzy? A hairdressing salon provided by Newham College students can kit customers out with a beehive
6) Try something new, go on! Floristry, blacksmithing and biscuit decoration are just some of the activities you’ve always wanted to do but never got round to. Head to the Hobbies Tent for inspiration
7) Had a few too many biscuits? That’s fine - just head to activeNewham, who will be running a series of sports taster sessions for visitors to try
The Mayor’s Newham Show runs from 12-6pm on Saturday, July 11 and Sunday, July 12. Want to find out more? Check out further details on the Newham Council website here
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Newham Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.