Orient to host New York Cosmos and chairman Hearn wants former Millwall man Batt
- Credit: Archant
Leyton Orient will face the iconic New York Cosmos at Brisbane Road, while Hearn takes to Twitter to try and secure signing of former loanee Shaun Batt.
Leyton Orient will welcome the re-launched New York Cosmos to Brisbane Road on July 24.
The Cosmos were reformed in 2010 after previously dominating American soccer between 1971 and 1985 with such stars as Pele and Franz Beckbenbauer.
And head coach Giovanni Savarese, who recently signed former Spanish international Marcos Senna, is in the process of assembling a squad as they prepare for the 2013 season in the North American Soccer League.
The game replaces the Aldershot fixture in the pre-season schedule and kicks off at 7.30pm at Brisbane Road with tickets priced at £10 for adults and £5 for under-18s and available to order immediately.
You may also want to watch:
On the fixture, O’s chief executive Matt Porter said: “We are delighted to be hosting the Cosmos at the Matchroom and look forward to welcoming them and their followers.
“This is the latest in a line of exciting announcements this summer and a rare opportunity to see the O’s take on opponents from across the Atlantic so we are hoping for a great turnout in E10.”
- 1 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 2 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 3 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 4 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 8 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 9 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
And Cosmos head coach Savarese added: “I’m looking forward to taking our squad to the U.K. “the chance to train and play in a different environment and face Orient will benefit our team and our preseason preparations.”
Meanwhile, chairman Barry Hearn has taken to social networking site Twitter to confirm Orient’s desire to see striker Shaun Batt return to the club.
The 26-year-old spent a successful spell on loan at Brisbane Road last season from Championship outfit Millwall and was set to be offered a new deal at the New Den by former boss Kenny Jackett.
But the former Peterborough man announced on Twitter his decision to leave, which saw chairman Hearn declare his interest in the striker.
In reply to a tweet from Batt, Hearn said: Worth talking to us ? Big plans for next season. London club. Plus we actually want you !”
To which Batt replied: “Yes, definitely! Need to happen soon though.”