Orient slump to third league defeat in a row

Leyton Orient 1 Wycombe 3

Orient slumped to their third league defeat of the season as their miserable start continued against Wycombe on Tuesday night.

Although O’s played some good stuff in the first half their confidence drained away once Joel Grant added Wycombe’s third early in the second half.

Orient struggled to deal with crosses and Ben Strevens headed the visitors in front and although Dean Cox levelled with a super strike, a Scott Donnelly penalty restored Wycombe’s lead, before Grant struck early in the second half to compound Orient’s misery.

There could not have been a more dramatic start to the game as it was Wycombe who grabbed the lead after just seven minutes.

Veteran midfielder Gareth Ainsworth swung in a cross from the right after the O’s half-cleared a corner and former Dagger Strevens ghosted in to score.

But Orient playing with more pace and passion hit back and were level after 16 minutes.

Most Read

A slick move down the right ended with defender Elliot Omozusi cutting the ball back and Cox, from the edge of the area, smacked the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

But Orient’s joy was short-lived and 60 seconds later a rash tackle by skipper Stephen Dawson just inside the area sent Stuart Beavon tumbling and referee Gavin Ward pointed to the spot.

Scott Donnelly calmly rolled the all past Lee Butcher’s left-hand and O’s were trailing again.

But Russell Slade’s side dug deep and hit back as they played their best football of the season.

But they looked uncertain at the back and it took a neat stop from Butcher to prevent Grant adding a third.

Dawson twice went close following runs into the area as he looked to make amends and with O’s buzzing Charlie Daniels tried his luck from distance and when Nikki Bull spilt the shot, the keeper reacted quickly to block Alex Revell’s follow up.

O’s started the second half well and when Revell whipped in a cross Wycombe’s central defender Dave Winfield sent a fierce header just wide of his own post.

But Orient, who struggled to defend crosses, were caught out again on 50 minutes when Ainsworth crossed from the right and Grant got the wrong side of Omozusi to head into the corner of the net.

O’s made a double change with David Mooney and George Porter coming on for Revell and Jimmy Smith in a bid to get back into the game.

But the confidence had drained from the O’s side and they rarely looked like getting back into the game.

The closest they came to pulling a goal back was when George Porter raced onto a long kick from Butcher, but shot wide

Orient: Butcher, Omozusi, Chorley, Cuthbert, Daniels, Spring, Dawson, Smith (Porter 59 mins), Cox, Revell (Mooney 59 mins), Cureton. Subs: Forbes, Laird, Richardson.

Bookings: Chorley (86 mins dissent)

Wycombe Wanderers: Bull, Foster, Sandell, Winfield, Ainsworth (Bloomfield 61 mins), Strevens, Tunnicliffe, Grant, Beavon (Benyon 78 mins), Halls, Donnelly (Harding 92 mins). Subs: Johnson, Rendell.

Bookings: Winfield (90 mins foul)