Orient’s new signing Brunt is ready for action
Striker could make his debut at Sutton
Orient’s latest signing Ryan Brunt is set to make his debut in tomorrow’s pre-season friendly at Sutton.
O’s boss Russell Slade strengthened his squad this week with the capture of Stoke City striker Brunt, who joins on a long-term loan deal, while former West Bromwich Albion and Millwall keeper Ryan Allsop has also signed a short contract.
Brunt will remain at Brisbane Road until January 5 and adds competition to the attacking unit alongside Kevin Lisbie, David Mooney and recent signing Michael Symes.
The O’s boss said: “Ryan did really well when he was out on loan at Tranmere Rovers last season. He is developing into a strong player and will be an asset for us.”
You may also want to watch:
Brunt is a target man, who likes to hold the ball up and will add to Orient’s physical presence.
“He thrives on crosses, has a willingness to run and possesses a terrific work-rate,” said Slade. “I feel that he will complement the other strikers we have here.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Brunt has spent the last week training with the O’s and Slade admitted: “He is likely to play some part in the friendly at Sutton.”
Brunt played 15 games for Orient’s League One rivals Tranmere Rovers last season and also had similar loan spells at Luton Town and Nantwich Town.
The six-foot two tall striker said: “It’s a great opportunity for me to start the season with a loan club, especially in League One and hopefully I can do well. I like to get in the box and score a few goals.
Slade, who hopes to make another signing before the week is out, has also taken keeper Allsop on a sixth-month deal.
The 20-year-old will provide back-up for Jamie Jones as Lee Butch is unlikely to be fit until the end of the year as he recovers from a serious knee injury.
Allsop spent last season at the Den after coming through the youth ranks at West Brom where he was capped by England at under-17 level.
He also played for Icelandic side Hottur during the summer.
Slade said: “We will be without Lee Butcher for a while, so we needed another goalkeeper and Ryan has huge potential and will provide stiff competition for Jamie Jones. He is a keeper with a great presence.”