Orient pair Spring and Porter on the move
O’s boss admits he has got to wheel and deal
Orient’s hopes of keeping midfielder Matt Spring disappeared this week when he joined Wycombe Wanderers – and winger George Porter is ready to move on as well.
Porter, who rejected a new deal, could be on his way to Championship side Burnley, while Spring was set to train with his new Wycombe team-mates today.
At least Orient manager Russell Slade completed the signings of Bournemouth duo Michael Symes and Mathieu Baudry last week - but his squad still looks threadbare as the players returned to pre-season training this week.
Slade has made four summer captures after signing Bristol Rovers defender Gary Sawyer and Port Vale midfielder Anthony Griffith and the O’s boss had hoped to keep the influential Spring, who ended last season as skipper.
You may also want to watch:
But the new wage-capping system meant the O’s boss saw his budget reduced by around �400,000.
Once Slade had his four summer targets in place he was hoping to be able to tie up a deal with the former Charlton man, but Spring has opted to join Wycombe and Slade admitted: “Now it’s a question of wheeling and dealing.
- 1 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 2 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
“It looks as if we will lose Porter as he has rejected a much improved offer and is in talks with Burnley.
“It’s all about trying to get the right balance working within the restraints of the new system and we will have to wait and see how things settle down.”