Orient new boy ‘determined to take chance’
- Credit: Archant
Sherratt excited by full-time deal
Orient youngster Jack Sherratt says he is determined to make the most of his chance with the League One club.
Sherratt was offered a deal by Russell Slade as part of the Samsung Win A Pro Contract competition, the nationwide search for talented amateur footballers.
And he will be joining up for pre-season training with the first-team squad soon ahead of the new campaign.
He said: “I was at Port Vale’s youth academy for eight years. They released me when I was 16. It was hard to take, but this competition has given me a second chance.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m determined to make the most of this opportunity and have a successful career with Leyton Orient.
“I’d recommend Samsung Win A Pro Contract to anyone trying to make it as a professional footballer.”
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 3 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 4 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 5 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 6 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 7 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 8 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 9 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 10 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
Southampton and England legend Matt Le Tissier launched the new season of Samsung’s Win A Pro Contractat Westfield, Stratford recently, when it was announced League Two Wycombe Wanderers would be joining Orient and Swindon in offering a deal to competition winners.
Hopefuls will be tested at regional skills trials and full matches as they bid to kick-start their dreams of becoming a professional footballer.
Le Tissier, who played eight times for England, is supporting Win A Pro Contract and said: “Win A Pro Contract is a fantastic initiative which gives aspiring footballers the opportunity of a lifetime.
“Becoming a professional footballer is a long and difficult process. I was fortunate to have a fantastic playing career.
“Samsung Win A Pro Contract is the starting point for three talented young players to try and do the same. I wish every entrant the best of luck.”
Regional trials are held at Goals Soccer Centres across the UK, where players are assessed by club scouts and expert talent spotters FootballCV.
The best players are chosen for full matches at the three Win A Pro Contract clubs’ grounds. One of the grounds is then chosen to stage the final for the 22 players still in with the chance of winning.
At least six players are picked for boot camps at the three clubs before the three eventual winners are chosen by managers Slade, Kevin MacDonald (Swindon) and Gareth Ainsworth (Wycombe).
The winners will then be invited to sign professional playing contracts at their respective club starting on July 1, 2014.
To apply for a place in the regional trials, please go to: www.facebook.com/samsungfootball.