Orient duo will have to wait for debuts
Postponed: Leyton Orient v Huddersfield Town
Orient’s new signings Solomon Taiwo and Ryan Dickson will have to wait until Tuesday night at Bournemouth to make their debuts after Saturday’s match with promotion-chasing Huddersfield Town was postponed.
Midfielder Taiwo, on loan until the end of the season from Cardiff City, has been troubled by a groin injury since his arrival, but had returned to training and would have been available for selection, as was Southampton full-back Dickson, who was signed on Thursday and was due to go straight into the squad.
Orient chief executive Matt Porter was frustrated the game was postponed: “We’re very disappointed today’s game is off,” he said.
“A lot of work by a lot of people went in to keeping in on, but overnight temperatures plunged to around minus 10.
“We had double layers of covers on and it was playable on Friday, but it was much colder overnight than forecast.”
Orient manager Russell Slade was desperate to get back into action and said: “Players don’t like to miss games. They want to play at least once a week so they keep their competitive edge and don’t lose their sharpness. I’m not a fan of thinking it freshens players up if they have a break.”
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 4 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 5 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 6 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
One consolation for Slade is that it will give striker David Mooney a little more time to recover from a groin injury.