Orient come unstuck as Toffees run riot in Capital One Cup

Capital One Cup second round: Everton 5 Leyton Orient 0

Orient’s Capital One Cup dream turned into a nightmare at Goodison Park as Premier League high flyers Everton ripped Russell Slade’s side apart with a four-goal blast in the opening 35 minutes.

David Moyes’ team turned on a power show before the break as a double strike from debutant Kevin Mirallas and goals from Leon Osman and Victor Anichebe ended this second round tie as a contest, before Magaye Gueye made it five in the second half.

Orient boss Slade made two changes to the side that had lost at home to Stevenage as fit-again striker Kevin Lisbie returned to lead the attack, while Moses Odubajo was given his first start of the season, as Michael Symes and David Mooney dropped to the bench.

While in-form Everton gave a first start to new striker Mirallas, who made an instant impression with a quick-fire double.

The game kicked off 15 minutes because of the queues at the turnstiles as almost 25,000 turned up - but Orient must have been wishing that it hadn’t started at all.

The home side were quickly into their stride with Mirallas and Gueye firing in efforts from distance, as Orient were simply second best.

Most Read

Then keeper Jamie Jones, back at his former club, made a smart save from Anichebe.

So it came as no real surprise when the home side took the lead on 17 minutes when Mirallas marked his debut by firing into the bottom left-hand corner after Steven Naismith provided the assist.

O’s were struggling to keep in touch with their Premier League hosts and conceded a second goal just five minutes later when Osman netted with a neat finish after Mirallas flicked on a cross from Leighton Baines.

It was turning into a nightmare for the Londoners as before 30 minutes had elapsed the home side struck a third.

With Everton in complete control, Mirallas blasted in his second of the night with an effort that went through Ben Chorley’s legs and past a despairing Jones.

It might have been four shortly afterwards, but the visiting keeper pulled off a super save to deny Baines.

However, the home side did not have to wait and Jones would have been disappointed when he was beaten for a fourth time on 35 minutes as Anichebe’s shot from outside the area beat him for pace.

The home side had netted four times in a devastating 18-minute spell.

Orient finally carved out a chance five minutes before the break when skipper Nathan Clarke’s long throw bounced in the area and Jimmy Smith headed just over.

But normal service was resumed and Jones made a good reaction save from Naismith, before the relieved visitors were rescued from any more punishment by referee Roger East’s half-time whistle.

With the game over as a contest, Everton boss Moyes made three changes at the break, while O’s quickly made a switch too, with Leon McSweeney replacing Lloyd James two minutes after the restart.

New signing Martin Rowlands was also thrown into the fray and as Everton took their foot off the gas Dean Cox went close on the hour with a shot that was deflected for a corner.

But Everton grabbed a fifth on 67 minutes when Seamus Coleman sent over a cross that Gueye volleyed home.

O’s made their final change when Cook, signed last week, came on for Odubajo for the final 16 minutes.

And in a more even second period the former QPR man went close late on, but Jan Mucha parried his effort away and Smith couldn’t bundle home the rebound.

Everton: Mucha, Baines (Duffy 46mins), Heitinga, Jagielka (Garbutt 46 mins), Mirallas, Naismith, Neville, Gueye, Osman (Barkley 46 mins), Coleman, Anichebe. Subs: Jelavid, Distin, Howard, Vellios.

Orient: Jones, James (McSweeney 47 mins), Chorley, Clarke, Sawyer; Baudry; Odubajo (Cook 74 mins), Griffith (Rowlands 56 mins), Smith, Cox; Lisbie. Subs: Allsop, Symes, Brunt, Mooney.

Referee: Roger East

Attendance: 24,124