Orient boss Slade hopeful that Smith and Jones will stay
Manager is more optimistic as players are set to make their mind up
Orient boss Russell Slade is hoping that the club’s two out-of-contract players – goalkeeper Jamie Jones and midfielder Jimmy Smith – will sign new deals.
The O’s boss believed that Jones, the 22-year-old former Everton goalkeeper, had accepted a new contract in principle, but then things appeared to have stalled.
But Slade, who has been linked with the manager’s job at Barnsley, explained: “Jamie has gone on holiday and while he is away he will be thinking things over. But we are hopeful that he will be staying with us when he comes back.”
Jones has been linked with several clubs since the end of the season, including Celtic, West Ham, Leicester City and Sheffield United, but some of the speculation would seem to be wide of the mark.
You may also want to watch:
The manager also believes that Smith, who established himself as a key man in midfield last season, may also stay.
“I’m more hopeful on that one than I was at this time last week,” admitted Slade.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
“It’s not out of the question that both will end up signing for us.”