Orient boss Slade hopeful that Smith and Jones will stay
Manager is more optimistic as players are set to make their mind up
Orient boss Russell Slade is hoping that the club’s two out-of-contract players – goalkeeper Jamie Jones and midfielder Jimmy Smith – will sign new deals.
The O’s boss believed that Jones, the 22-year-old former Everton goalkeeper, had accepted a new contract in principle, but then things appeared to have stalled.
But Slade, who has been linked with the manager’s job at Barnsley, explained: “Jamie has gone on holiday and while he is away he will be thinking things over. But we are hopeful that he will be staying with us when he comes back.”
Jones has been linked with several clubs since the end of the season, including Celtic, West Ham, Leicester City and Sheffield United, but some of the speculation would seem to be wide of the mark.
The manager also believes that Smith, who established himself as a key man in midfield last season, may also stay.
“I’m more hopeful on that one than I was at this time last week,” admitted Slade.
- 1 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 2 One arrest, man in hospital after Stratford station attack
- 3 New Upton Park diner offers free burgers to first 100 customers
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, remains in ‘life-threatening’ condition after A13 incident
- 5 New online information resource set up for Newham families
- 6 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 7 Overnight closure of Stratford Centre to continue for another 18 months
- 8 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 9 Motorcyclist, 19, in critical condition after hitting barriers on A13 Newham Way
- 10 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
“It’s not out of the question that both will end up signing for us.”