Orient boss Slade hopeful that Smith and Jones will stay
Manager is more optimistic as players are set to make their mind up
Orient boss Russell Slade is hoping that the club’s two out-of-contract players – goalkeeper Jamie Jones and midfielder Jimmy Smith – will sign new deals.
The O’s boss believed that Jones, the 22-year-old former Everton goalkeeper, had accepted a new contract in principle, but then things appeared to have stalled.
But Slade, who has been linked with the manager’s job at Barnsley, explained: “Jamie has gone on holiday and while he is away he will be thinking things over. But we are hopeful that he will be staying with us when he comes back.”
Jones has been linked with several clubs since the end of the season, including Celtic, West Ham, Leicester City and Sheffield United, but some of the speculation would seem to be wide of the mark.
You may also want to watch:
The manager also believes that Smith, who established himself as a key man in midfield last season, may also stay.
“I’m more hopeful on that one than I was at this time last week,” admitted Slade.
- 1 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 2 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 3 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 4 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 5 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 6 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 7 Free climber scales Stratford skyscraper for climate change awareness
- 8 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 9 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 10 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
“It’s not out of the question that both will end up signing for us.”