Opponents of London City Airport expansion push for deferral
- Credit: Archant
Campaigners have called on Newham Council to defer its decision at tonight’s planning meeting.
HACAN East is concerned about the way its members, and their opposition to the plans, have been perceived.
The group opposes expanding the terminal, extending the taxiway and building seven new parking stands to accommodate larger aircraft because of noise pollution fears – we want to know if Recorder readers agree.
The group also voiced concerns about recent figures revealing support for the plans in Newham, after a ComRes telephone survey found 68 per cent of 1,000 people supported the plans.
“Most Newham residents are not overflown,” HACAN East’s chair, John Stewart, said. “The residents who are overflown are in the adjoining boroughs and there’s overwhelming opposition there.”
You may also want to watch:
He described the focus on Newham opinion as “pure propaganda”.
But London City Airport defended the survey.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
“London City Airport is located in Newham, therefore this survey – which is about jobs, benefits and local sentiment – was conducted in Newham,” said a spokeswoman. “It provides a snapshot of opinion in the surrounding area, including those of residents in the immediate vicinity of the airport and those further afield.”
The plans can be viewed at newham.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=1224&MId=10678
A public planning meeting is scheduled for 6pm tonight at the Old Town Hall in Stratford where the committee will reject, defer or grant permission.
HACAN East will not be fielding speakers.