OPINION: East London Humanist chair Paul Kaufman feels church letter will insult
- Credit: Archant
In an extraordinary intervention, the archbishops of Canterbury and York have attempted to make faith an election issue.
At the same time they have insulted the countless decent people who have no religious belief and who play an important part in the life of this country.
In their pre-election letter to the Parishes and Chaplaincies of the Church of England the Archbishops denounce the growth of secularism and call for faith to play a central role in politics.
The letter makes the bold assertion that: “Religious belief is the well-spring for the virtues and practices that make for good individuals, strong relationships and flourishing communities...” Really?
Where does their claim leave all the excellent non-faith schools? Or the non-faith based youth groups? These include the Scouts and Guides who recently abandoned any religious qualification for membership. Are they not equally capable of creating good individuals, strong relationships and flourishing communities?
You may also want to watch:
The letter is from a church where their bishops have an automatic right to sit in the House of Lords and decide on our laws without the inconvenience of having to stand for election.
Church of England schools, often state-funded, continue to turn away pupils who are of the ‘wrong’ faith or belief, and often from poorer families.
While the letter celebrates this country’s Christian heritage it is silent on the church’s less than perfect record on women’s rights, gay rights and child abuse. More from Paul
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 3 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 7 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 8 Knife-carrying teenager arrested after running from cops
- 9 NHS Nightingale London opens to patients without Covid-19
- 10 Serial fraudster who set up fake real estate company jailed for six years