Open meetings in Newham to help fundraise for Syrian refugees
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Residents are invited to attend fundraising meetings to help develop activities to support Syrian refugees coming to the borough.
The meetings are being held to discuss and organise local activities to raise funds for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) - the United Nations Relief Agency and will take place throughout the month.
They will also be attended by lead councillors for each of the council’s eight Community Neighbourhood areas and other interested parties.
The council will make funding available through its Let’s Get the Party Started community grants scheme to support each of these initiatives.
The meetings are open to all residents and will be held on:
You may also want to watch:
• Thursday, October 15, 6.30pm-7.30pm, Custom House and Canning Town Community Neighbourhood, Canning Town Library, Barking Road, Canning Town, E16 4HQ
• Saturday, October 17, 2pm to 4pm, Stratford and West Ham Community Neighbourhood, Stratford Library, 3 The Grove, Stratford E15 1EL
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
• Monday, October 19, from 6.30pm, East Ham Community Neighbourhood, East Ham Library, 328 Barking Road, East Ham E6 2RT
• Tuesday, October 20, 6pm to 7pm, Green Street Community Neighbourhood, Green Street Library. 337-341 Green Street, Upton Park E13 9AR
• Wednesday, October 21, from 6.30pm Beckton and Royal Docks Community Neighbourhood, Beckton Community Centre, 14 East Ham Manor Way, E6 5NG
• Wednesday, October 21, 6.30pm-8pm, Forest Gate Community Neighbourhood, The Gate Community Neighbourhood Centre, 2-6 Woodgrange Road,E7 0QH
• Tuesday, October 27, 6pm-7.30pm, Manor Park Community Neighbourhood, Trinity Centre, East Avenue, London E12 6SG
• Thursday, October 29, 5.30pm-7.00pm Plaistow Community Neighbourhood, Plaistow Library, North Street, E13 9HL
The council has agreed to take in ten Syrian refugee families and has promised to provide the support they need to rebuild their lives and integrate into the local communities.
For more information visit newham.gov.uk