Open House: Hundreds enjoy Newham’s best sites and spaces
Hundreds of people from across Newham took the opportunity during this year’s Open House to explore some of the area’s buildings, places and spaces.
The weekend marked 20 years of Open House – the celebration of buildings, places and spaces – which lets residents enjoy some of the capital’s iconic landmarks.
In Newham there were 16 locations that took part in the event which gave people the opportunity to explore and learn about architecture and design. They were among more than 750 buildings open alongside neighbourhood walks, engineering and landscape tours, night-time openings, urban jogs and experts’ talks – all for free.
The City of London Cemetery and Crematorium at Aldersbrook in Manor Park, like many venues, ran tours throughout the weekend to its Grade I listed 200 acre landscape which was designed and landscaped in 1856 to deal with the environmental and health issues associated with the capital’s cramped churchyards.
The tours, lasting about two hours, were led by the superintendent on the heritage site.
You may also want to watch:
Other locations that took part included Abbey Mills Pumping Station, West Ham Parish Church of All Saints in Stratford, Stratford Picture House and Cody Dock in Canning Town.
This year’s theme, The Changing Face of London, explored issues that are relevant to communities and how the environment is evolving – including the design of homes, the impact of climate change, the role of architects and contemporary design in revitalising places and showing how good design can make London a more liveable, vibrant and fun city.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation