Open House: Hundreds enjoy Newham’s best sites and spaces
Hundreds of people from across Newham took the opportunity during this year’s Open House to explore some of the area’s buildings, places and spaces.
The weekend marked 20 years of Open House – the celebration of buildings, places and spaces – which lets residents enjoy some of the capital’s iconic landmarks.
In Newham there were 16 locations that took part in the event which gave people the opportunity to explore and learn about architecture and design. They were among more than 750 buildings open alongside neighbourhood walks, engineering and landscape tours, night-time openings, urban jogs and experts’ talks – all for free.
The City of London Cemetery and Crematorium at Aldersbrook in Manor Park, like many venues, ran tours throughout the weekend to its Grade I listed 200 acre landscape which was designed and landscaped in 1856 to deal with the environmental and health issues associated with the capital’s cramped churchyards.
The tours, lasting about two hours, were led by the superintendent on the heritage site.
You may also want to watch:
Other locations that took part included Abbey Mills Pumping Station, West Ham Parish Church of All Saints in Stratford, Stratford Picture House and Cody Dock in Canning Town.
This year’s theme, The Changing Face of London, explored issues that are relevant to communities and how the environment is evolving – including the design of homes, the impact of climate change, the role of architects and contemporary design in revitalising places and showing how good design can make London a more liveable, vibrant and fun city.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 6 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford