One in every 38 Newham homes is subject to possession claim
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
If you live in Newham the chances of getting your home repossessed are considerably higher than if you dwell elsewhere in the country.
In fact, the borough is the “home threat hotspot” of England, according to figures released by the Ministry of Justice.
In Newham, one in every 38 homes was subject to a possession claim each week in the year to the end of March, housing charity Shelter found after analysing the figures.
It evaluated the data for possession claims by mortgage lenders and landlords to identify how many households had been threatened with losing their home,
The first 14 hotspots on the list were all in the capital, where housing costs are highest and pressure on stock greatest.
Shelter’s director of services, Alison Mohammed, said: “These staggering figures show just how many people are fighting to keep their families in their homes, after dealing with the double blow of welfare cuts and a drastic shortage of affordable housing.
“We’re doing everything we can to give advice and support to anyone who faces losing the roof over their heads, but the government must also play its part by putting a stop to further cuts to the safety net which helps ordinary families stay in their homes.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 6 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 7 Hammers fans show support for Christmas Toy Appeal
- 8 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 9 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 10 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped