One in eight West Ham household struggle with fuel bills
One in eight households in West Ham struggle to pay their fuel bills. according to a campaign group.
Transform UK is currently lobbying politicians, including MP Lyn Brown, in a bid to urge the government to recycle taxes charged on bills to create a new insulation scheme.
The Energy Bill Revolution campaign says this would help people to use less fuel to keep warm.
The government is expected to raise an average of �4 billion in carbon taxes every year from the European Emissions Trading Scheme and the Carbon Floor Price.
Ed Matthew, director of Transform UK, said: “It is scandalous that anyone in a developed country should face the choice of whether to buy food or heat their home.
You may also want to watch:
From next year the Government will have the money to end the blight of fuel poverty. This is the most fair and just solution and we hope all MPs will join the 135 MPs who are currently supporting it.”
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election