Olympic Stadium: Now it’s upto West Ham as Spurs rule out a move there
West Ham United are back in poll position for the Olympic Stadium after Tottenham Hotspur finally ruled out a move there following the Games next summer.
Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy finally gave millions of Spurs fans the news they wanted to hear in a statement issued when their annual accounts were revealed last night.
The club announced they proposed to quit the stock market to raise funds to go ahead with a Northumberland Development Project to build a new stadium next door to their current White Hart Lane home.
He said: “In light of the decision to formally retain the running track and the incompatibility of football in a stadium with a track, the Olympic Stadium has ceased to be an option for the club.
“Over the last few months, we’ve been involved in a succession of meetings and discussions at all levels in respect of the NDP and associated developments.”
Mr Levy added: “It is clear to us that increasing the capacity of the club’s stadium is a key factor in the continued development and success of the club and will involve the company in considerable additional capital expenditure.
“Given this requirement, we believe that the AIM listing restricts our ability to secure funding for its future development. We are ambitious for the club and have always taken the steps that we believe to be in its best interests.”
- 1 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 2 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 3 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 4 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 5 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 6 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 7 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 8 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 9 Newham pupils 'celebrate community' by designing large playground mural
- 10 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
Now it is upto West Ham United and Orient and others to consider their future and talk with the Olympic Park Legacy Company.