Olympic rower Mark Hunter is “super excited” about West Ham football club’s move to Olympic Stadium
- Credit: Archant
Olympic rower Mark Hunter, who is a big Hammers fan, has said he is “super excited” about West Ham football club moving to Stratford.
The Forest Gate born rower, who took Silver at last year’s London Olympics, spoke to us outside the current ground in Upton Park last Friday shortly after the club’s move to the Olympic Stadium was announced.
Mr Hunter said: “I’m super excited about it. There is obviously going to be mixed emotions among fans and the community, you get that with every big change.
“It’s typical of us British to be negative, it’s in our culture. It was the same when we were awarded the London Olympics with people saying it was never going to work. But look what happened and how proud people were of the Games in the end.
“There are a lot of memories with the current stadium but it is outdated and would have to be refurbished anyway to make it bigger.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hunter who now lives in Stoke Newington said he had been a fan since his childhood and goes to the occasional game, but insisted a season ticket was difficult even for him to afford.
After winning Olympic Gold in Beijing Mr Hunter was devastated last summer when he and Zac Purchase lost their lightweight double sculls Olympic title on home ground to Denmark.
- 1 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 8 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 9 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 10 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham