Olympic Park to host first urban golf tournament
- Credit: Archant
Golfing fans should putt the stresses of the week behind them and take a long drive to the Olympic Park next weekend for Europe’s biggest cross golf event.
The first UK Cross Golf Open and the European Urban Golf Cup (EUCG) will take place this Friday and Saturday.
The latter tournament will see teams of up to 12 players from 10 countries compete in a 14 hole cross golf course designed by organiser Community Golf.
Cross golf draws on the same aspects as traditional golf but is more relaxed.
The game is played in alternative environments including parks, playgrounds and urban landscapes and players can enjoy the game without an annual membership, green fees or strict dress codes.
You may also want to watch:
“We were invited to play in last year’s tournament in Cologne and were so inspired that we knew we had to make it happen in London,” Community Golf managing director Richard Shaw said.
“With the support of the Mayor of London and Sport England, as well as the Shoreditch Golf Club who pioneered urban golf here, we’ve been able to make it a reality.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
Community Golf, a not for profit organisation, takes golf into the community, proving that golf is a game for everyone regardless of age, gender, ability or background.
The organisation also runs programmes in schools, colleges, universities, disability centres and workplaces to increase interest and participation in the game.
Friday will host the UK Cross Golf Open, with players competing for the Jeremy Feakes Memorial Trophy as well as 1 of 12 places in the UK team for the EUGC tournament which will take place on Saturday.
Simon Cooper, head of sport at the Greater London Authority, says “We’re delighted to be welcoming teams from across Europe to London and will be looking to make this the best European Urban Golf Cup event yet.
“It is a great way of involving the whole community in a wonderful sport, so it is very fitting indeed that it is being held in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park as a way to help our ongoing determination to deliver a legacy from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”
To apply for a place in the UK Cross Golf Open or to volunteer at the tournaments, visit crossgolf.co.uk