Olympic Park makes 2013 a record-breaking year for Christmas Toy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Newham Recorder and Community Links Christmas Toy Appeal was a record-breaker – with the largest single donation of gifts in the campaign’s 36-year history.
Almost 1,500 presents were collected by the London Legacy Development Collection (LLDC), which manages the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, raising 10 per cent of the appeal’s target.
Kevin Jenkins, Community Links co-founder and senior adviser, called it a “truly wonderful and remarkable achievement”.
Gifts were flooding in during the closing week of the appeal ahead of the deadline in December.
Donations were received from Newham Chamber of Commerce, St Saviour’s Church, Forest Gate, and Newham Scouts among others.
LLDC chief executive Dennis Hone said: “Newham has a very strong community spirit – something we saw in the London 2012 Games – and this spirit is echoed in this campaign.”
He also thanked the LLDC’s contractors for their generous support.
- 1 Met Office: Thunderstorm warning issued for London
- 2 Newham refuse workers vote to strike over pay dispute
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 Thousands attend UK Black Pride event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- 5 West Ham United 'didn't have any luck' at Forest says Moyes
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 Hard-working Leyton Orient 'nowhere near best' in Mansfield win says Wellens
- 10 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
Mr Jenkins said: “The kindness and generosity of everyone who contributed is truly appreciated.
“Their help in this most challenging of all years has enabled the appeal to reach its target and ensured Father Christmas is in Newham this Christmas.”
Newham Recorder editor Michael Adkins said: “We would like to thank our readers and everyone who helped us reach our target again this year.
“Their generous donations have ensured there are presents for the children most in need at Christmas.”