Olympic Park launch for Great Newham London Run
- Credit: Archant
Medal-winning athletes helped to launch the Great Newham London Run at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park yesterday.
Brendan Foster, Lord Coe and Jo Pavey joined the Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, and representatives from the run’s sponsor Morrisons to reveal details about the 10km race, which is set to take place on Sunday, July 19.
It will be the first event to take place in the Olympic Stadium since work began.
Former Commonwealth Games 10,000m champion Foster, who founded the Great Run series, said he hoped to make the run “the biggest running event in Britain”.
He added: “It will be spectacular to see 60,000 people running around Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park and crossing the line in the Stadium.”
In addition to the 10km run, there will be a 2km family run open to particpants aged five and over,.
A four-person team relay will see each member run 10.54km, completing a combined marathon distance.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
Sir Robin said: “We want our residents to feel the same excitement crossing the same finishing line as the Olympians and Paralympians who truly inspired a generation.”
European 10,000m champion Jo Pavey competed at London 2012 and said it was “fantastic” that participants could run in the stadium.
She said: “The 10km distance is achievable for most people and, as a mum, I think the family run is a great way to get kids active at a fun and healthy day out for the all family.”
To sign up for the run, visit greatrun.org