Olympic Park gets Walford’s E20 postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given its own postcode district, Royal Mail chiefs have announced.
The Games site has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in TV’s EastEnders.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST.
More than 100 postcodes - which cover up to 99 addresses - have already been allocated in the E20 district.
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the Capital.”
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
- 7 'A kind, gentle man': Tributes to retired printworker and beloved father
- 8 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 9 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 10 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.