Olympic Park gets Walford’s E20 postcode
The Olympic Park is to be given its own postcode district, Royal Mail chiefs have announced.
The Games site has been allocated the London E20 postcode - used for the past 25 years by the fictional Walford in TV’s EastEnders.
Five new neighbourhoods - due to be created after the 2012 Games - and the Westfield Stratford City development will be included in the new area, which straddles the borders of four London boroughs.
Key venues at the site have all been given their own individual postcode, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be designated E20 2ST.
More than 100 postcodes - which cover up to 99 addresses - have already been allocated in the E20 district.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Agar, Royal Mail’s director of regulated business, said: “It is fitting that such a significant development in London has been allocated its own easily recognisable postcode more than 150 years after the world’s first postcodes were introduced in the Capital.”
Olympic Park Legacy Company chief executive Andrew Altman added: “This is a new postcode for a new part of London.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
“E20 will be one of the capital’s most popular districts focused on community-living, sport and entertainment.”
Royal Mail was the first postal operator to establish a postcode system, introducing the first postal districts in London in 1857.
The current code system was introduced in the late 1950s.
The most recent new postcode district to be introduced, prior to E20, was for the Highland community of Morvern last year.