Olympic minister tours huge Stratford improvements
Met with businesses during walkabout
Olympics minister Bob Neill visited Newham last week to see for himself the improvements made to Stratford.
He was met by Mayor Sir Robin Wales and then went on tour to meet with a number of local businesseses.
The multi-million pounds public realm works have been fujnded by Newham Council, the London Legacy Development Corporation, Transport for London and and Department for Communities and Local Government.
The works are part of the wider regeneration plans for Newham and will not only improve the environment and access for residents by but also visitors for the Games.
You may also want to watch:
The minister surveyed completed works on Meridian Square and the Shoal with Sir Robin Wales, Jamie Hodge, Stratford Renaissance Partnership, and Christophe West from Studio Egret West.
He then went into into Stratford Centre and met Ilan Goldman, from Catalyst Capital, the Stratford Centre owners and investors and heard about development and investment plans
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 6 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 10 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
He then met with market trader Darren Brooks, fruiterer – whose family has been trading for generations in Stratford.
Following that, Mr Neill walked to the Stratford Cultural Quarter and met Stratford Rising representatives and heard about the plans for the area from Debra Reay and Kerry Michael of Stratford Rising.
This stage of the visit was then followed by a visit to the construction site of new Stratford University Square being carrioed out by the UEL and Birkbeck.
His visit thenconcluded with a walk through the new public realm area at the Grove and view the Clouds.
where he met Alon Brizman, Vice Chair, Stratford Town Centre Forum