Olympic minister tours huge Stratford improvements
Met with businesses during walkabout
Olympics minister Bob Neill visited Newham last week to see for himself the improvements made to Stratford.
He was met by Mayor Sir Robin Wales and then went on tour to meet with a number of local businesseses.
The multi-million pounds public realm works have been fujnded by Newham Council, the London Legacy Development Corporation, Transport for London and and Department for Communities and Local Government.
The works are part of the wider regeneration plans for Newham and will not only improve the environment and access for residents by but also visitors for the Games.
The minister surveyed completed works on Meridian Square and the Shoal with Sir Robin Wales, Jamie Hodge, Stratford Renaissance Partnership, and Christophe West from Studio Egret West.
He then went into into Stratford Centre and met Ilan Goldman, from Catalyst Capital, the Stratford Centre owners and investors and heard about development and investment plans
- 1 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 2 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 3 Romford West Ham fan accused of harassing Jewish man on flight
- 4 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 5 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 6 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
- 7 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 8 Third straight win takes Newham top of the table
- 9 'Never limit ourselves': Dance school reaches 18 years of success
- 10 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
He then met with market trader Darren Brooks, fruiterer – whose family has been trading for generations in Stratford.
Following that, Mr Neill walked to the Stratford Cultural Quarter and met Stratford Rising representatives and heard about the plans for the area from Debra Reay and Kerry Michael of Stratford Rising.
This stage of the visit was then followed by a visit to the construction site of new Stratford University Square being carrioed out by the UEL and Birkbeck.
His visit thenconcluded with a walk through the new public realm area at the Grove and view the Clouds.
where he met Alon Brizman, Vice Chair, Stratford Town Centre Forum