Olympic Games road lane closures cause A13 delays
Motorists on the A13 Newham Way were hit by two hour delays during rush-hour this morning as Olympic road restrictions came into effect for the first time.
Westbound queues went back past the Canning Town flyover with the worst between the flyover and the A1261 East India Dock Link Tunnel junction.
The inside lane on the approach to the A1261 was closed on Saturday in time for the Games.
At its height, the congestion affected people entering the A13 from the Ferry Lane interchange.
The changes have been put in place to ensure the new Olympic Route Network is ready to begin operation on Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Leon Daniels, from Transport for London (TfL), said: “London’s transformation into a huge sporting and cultural venue continues, as does the impact on London’s roads.
“The changes put in place over the weekend to build the Olympic Route Network, combined with the arrival of 11,500 athletes, media and officials, an event for heads of state at Buckingham Palace and the Torch Relay continuing means London’s roads are exceptionally busy.
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 7 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 8 Jarrod Bowen hails West Ham as they dug deep to seal victory over West Brom
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
“Our advice to motorists is clear, journeys are likely to take considerably longer, avoid driving in central London, the ORN and Games venues.”