Olympic Games road lane closures cause A13 delays
Motorists on the A13 Newham Way were hit by two hour delays during rush-hour this morning as Olympic road restrictions came into effect for the first time.
Westbound queues went back past the Canning Town flyover with the worst between the flyover and the A1261 East India Dock Link Tunnel junction.
The inside lane on the approach to the A1261 was closed on Saturday in time for the Games.
At its height, the congestion affected people entering the A13 from the Ferry Lane interchange.
The changes have been put in place to ensure the new Olympic Route Network is ready to begin operation on Wednesday.
You may also want to watch:
Leon Daniels, from Transport for London (TfL), said: “London’s transformation into a huge sporting and cultural venue continues, as does the impact on London’s roads.
“The changes put in place over the weekend to build the Olympic Route Network, combined with the arrival of 11,500 athletes, media and officials, an event for heads of state at Buckingham Palace and the Torch Relay continuing means London’s roads are exceptionally busy.
- 1 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 2 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 3 Two Levels FC youngsters seal deals with Football League clubs
- 4 Stratford fast food shop destroyed by 'deep fat fryer' blaze
- 5 Mayor pledges to continue focus on election promises after Newham referendum result
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 Mayor of Newham: 'Supporting young people after tragedies'
- 8 Unmesh Desai on his priorities after winning City and East election
- 9 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“Our advice to motorists is clear, journeys are likely to take considerably longer, avoid driving in central London, the ORN and Games venues.”