Olympic cycling star visits Stratford school house named after him
- Credit: Archant
There was excitement as a two-time Olympic Gold medal-winning track cyclist dropped in on a Stratford school to visit a house named in his honour.
Ed Clancy MBE was visiting Chobham Academy on Tuesday, March 3, where he met pupils of “Ed Clancy House,” named after the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The school is on the site of the Athletes’ Village on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, where Ed stayed when he won Gold at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
He said: “It’s mad to think that the children are in ‘Ed Clancy House’.
“I would’ve loved to be in ‘Chris Boardman House’ when I was a lad at school.
“I’m looking forward to getting back racing in the Olympic venue, which holds so many great memories for me, and I’m hoping to make some more.”
Jasmine Okoye who is in year 10 at the Chobham’s Ed Clancy House, said:
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
“Our school house is named after Ed and it was great to meet him today and see his gold medal from London 2012.
“We have watched him on TV winning races but he was totally friendly and down to earth.
“He told us to always give 100 per cent and not to worry about the things we can’t control.”
During a visit to the Olympic venue Ed announced the riders he will be taking on at this year’s Good Friday Meeting.
The cycling star is the ambassador for the Good Friday Meeting which will be held at the Lee Valley Velo Park on Friday, April 3, 2015.