“Olympic” could cost cafe owner �3,000
Newham businesses using the word Olympic in their name could be asked to change it as trading standards officers clamp down on illegal use of the brand.
Kamel Kichane, manager of Cafe Olympic in West Ham Lane, Stratford has been forced to change the name of his diner after he was told he could face legal action over his use of the word Olympic.
He said he spoke to the council before he chose a name for the cafe three years ago, just after London was chosen to host the 2012 Olympic Games. He admitted he did not get written permission but says he was told it would be Ok as long as he did not use the Olympic Rings.
He was faced the prospect of a �3,000 bill to change his signs and logos but decided to make the necessary alternattions with minimal expense.
A spokesman for Newham Council told the Recorder: “The Olympic Caf� was visited by an officer in 2009. It was explained that the caf�’s trading name was illegal and we asked them to remove it.
You may also want to watch:
“The Olympics are crucial for the regeneration of Newham and we are following legislation put in place by the government. There are copyright restrictions for businesses around the use of the word Olympic and the five rings. We are currently discussing with LOCOG the best way to deal with those who use such words or marks unlawfully.”
He said any businesses seeking guidance over this issue should visit: http://www.london2012.com/documents/brand-guidelines/guidelines-for-business-use.pdf
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory