Olympian Christine Ohuruogu gets standing ovation at Stratford bingo club
Stratford Olympian and local hero Christine Ohuruogu opened a �1.5 million bingo hall in her hometown on Friday.
Newly refurbished Gala Bingo, on High Street, had the honour of a visit from Team GB 400m sprinter Christine who wore her silver medal on the night.
Receiving a standing ovation from proud residents, Christine met fans, signed autographs and posed for pictures before unveiling a giant cheque from Gala Bingo donating �1,000 to the Mo Farah Foundation.
Christine said: “I am delighted to have attended the club re-launch. I spent most of my childhood in the town and the buzz in Stratford, as well as the sense of community, is not only in the Olympic Stadium but here in the club also.”
Club manager, Robb Goble, said: “It’s wonderful to have a local hero support what was an eagerly anticipated day at Gala Bingo Stratford.
You may also want to watch:
“The club is home to a close knit local community and Christine was very much a part of that on Friday September 14 when we re-launched.”
The investment went towards building a modern lounge, heated outdoor terrace, a gaming arcade and extending gaming hours.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs