Obese youngsters sought for health trial
Study will test weight management programme
OVERWEIGHT teenagers from Newham are being sought to take part in a healthy lifestyle study.
Researchers are testing the healthy eating lifestyle programme - or HELP - and need volunteers aged between 13 and 17.
They are keen to find people from Newham - where more than a quarter of people are classed as obese - to take part.
The study is being undertaken by researchers from University College London’s Institute of Child Heath and is based at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Potential participants should be clinically obese according to World Health Organisation guidelines.
Those selected to take part will have their travel costs paid for and will be offered �20 in music or high street store vouchers.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 5 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 6 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Primary school recognised for supporting pupils' mental wellbeing
- 9 Plaistow woman shaves her head for charities
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
Dr Lee Hudson, medical research fellow for the study, said: “Thousands of young people from across London are known to struggle with their weight every day.
“This study is testing the healthy eating lifestyle programme, which aims to encourage young people to gain control of their weight by increasing their confidence and motivation and by helping them work with family and friends to take control of their lifestyle.
“The programme has already shown promising results in a hospital setting.”
Those interested in taking part should contact trial manager Anne Mathiot on 0207 905 2317 or Dr Hudson on 0207 905 2722.