O’s slip to home defeat as Evans strike seals victory for Fleetwood

O's boss Fabio Liverani has added winger Ryan Hedges to the squad(pic: Simon O'Connor)

O's boss Fabio Liverani has added winger Ryan Hedges to the squad(pic: Simon O'Connor) - Credit: Archant

League One: Leyton Orient 0 Fleetwood Town 1

Leyton Orient were made to rue Gareth Evans’ early second half strike which saw Fleetwood Town come away from Brisbane Road with all three points.

After a goalless first half, Evans struck with the second half just 22 seconds old and though the O’s had chances to get back into the game, they fell short.

Fabio Liverani made two changes from the side which won 3-0 at Yeovil Town with Andrea Dossena and David Mooney replacing Gary Sawyer and Kevin Lisbie respectively, who were both on the bench alongside Nathan Clarke and Gianvito Plasmati on their return from injury.

After a quiet first 10 minutes the visitors began to work their way into the game and after the hosts failed to clear their lines Gareth Evans saw his rising 25-yard volley go over the bar.

Some more sloppy play from the hosts saw Stephen Dobbie try his luck from 20 yards having spotted goalkeeper Gary Woods off his line, but his chipped effort was held.

The Cod Army were by far the dominant side and Dobbie went even close three minutes later when a ball in from the left found its way to the back post for an unmarked Dobbie but his fluffed shot struck the bar and the O’s cleared the goalmouth scramble that ensued.

Most Read

It took until the 23rd minute for the O’s to have their first real shot in anger and it came from Chris Dagnall after some neat footwork from Romain Vincelot allowed the striker time to shoot but his effort was well saved by Chris Maxwell.

That was the catalyst for a spell of dominance as Elliot Omozusi’s right-wing cross was only half cleared to Josh Wright and his 25 yard volley was just over the bar.

The game then went through another quiet spell before bursting into life just before the break as Jamie Proctor was clean through on the O’s goal only to be denied by a smart block from Woods.

Orient launched a counter attack and Dagnall saw his left-footed effort from an acute angle pushed onto the post and behind for a corner by Maxwell, before Mooney’s header from the resulting corner was nodded behind.

Lundstram came on for Wright at the break but within 22 seconds of the second half the O’s were behind as the ball was knocked down into the path of Evans by Proctor and he slotted past Woods.

It took a while for the O’s to recover from the early setback as chances were few and far between.

Dagnall won possession on the edge of the Fleetwood box and centred for Mooney but his tame effort was comfortably gathered by Maxwell.

Surprisingly Dean Cox was substituted for Kevin Lisbie, before Mooney’s dipping volley went just over the bar.

Lisbie had a great chance to level for the hosts with 15 minutes left on the clock as he found himself unmarked in the box following Dossena’s delivery however he somehow scooped the ball over from close range.

Mooney’s fierce shot was blocked by Mark Roberts and then Lisbie drilled a shot wide as their search for a late leveller continued.

Plasmati came on for Mooney with five minutes to go and he was in the action straight away as he directed Pritchard’s cross wide.

Pritchard was then felled as the game entered stoppage time, and O’s appealed for a penalty, though referee Fred Graham opted to give a free-kick just outside the area.

Liverani was sent to the stands for the closing stages for voicing his displeasure with the decision and Orient failed to create another chance as they slipped to defeat.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Omozusi, Cuthbert, Lowry, Dossena, Pritchard, Wright (Lundstram 46), Vincelot, Cox (Lisbie 62), Mooney (Plasmati 82), Dagnall.

Unused substitutes: Sawyer, Baudry, Clarke, Grainger.

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Roberts, Jordan, Crainey, J Hughes, Morris (Schumacher 78), Evans, Sarcevic, Dobbie (Dobbie 85), Proctor

Unused substitutes: Blair, M Hughes, Davies, Haughton, Springthorpe.

Attendance: 4,947 (129 Fleetwood Town fans)