Novel scarecrow contest at Beckton’s City Farm
One of the most unusual contests staged for quite some time has taken place at Newham City Farm in Beckton.
Last week saw young people taking part in Inaugural Schools Best Scarecrow Competition!
Youngsters were invited to make scarecrows for the farm and the competition was deemed a great success.
“It was a tremendous first event, and I am already looking forward to next years event, ” said Paula Blake, special projects manager at Links.
All the judges commented on the high standard of entries and the innovation that had gone into them.
You may also want to watch:
And Paula said that the schools who took part and their teachers said that it was a great learning experience that helped get across key issues around recycling, growing foods and so on.
The judging panel included local councillor Pat Holland, Steve Moore, head of waste and recycling at Newham Council, East Ham MP Stephen Timms and Christopher Kettle from Newham City Farm.
- 1 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 2 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 3 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 4 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 5 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 6 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
The schools won vouchers for the Newham Bookshop at the Boleyn.
The Overall Best Scarecrow prizes went to the following schools: First: Kensington; Second: Kier Hardie and Third: - Vicarage.
The Most Imaginative use of recycled materials competition was won by Kier Hardie, with Kensington second and Vicarage in third.
And Most Original Scarecrow section was won by Cleeves, with Vicarage and Cleeves again in third.