Night out dancing ends in tragedy of Manor Park man, 20
A night out dancing ended in tragedy when a young man was shot dead at a bus stop in an early morning attack on Saturday.
Daniel Famakinwa. 20, of Halley Road, Manor Park, died after a row between his group of friends and another group while he was waiting for a bus home.
Scotland Yard said officers were called at 4.15am on Saturday to Waylett Place, West Norwood.
Daniel, was taken by ambulance to Kings College Hospital, but he died just over an hour later at 5.33am.
A post mortem gave cause of death as a gunshot wound.
You may also want to watch:
An inquest will open and adjourn in due course.
An incident room has opened at Lewisham under Det Chief Insp Caroline Goode.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
She said: “We now know Daniel had been out dancing that night with a group of friends and afterwards they were waiting for a bus at the bus stop at Waylett Place and Norwood Road. There was an altercation between Daniel’s group and another group of black men who were also waiting at the bus stop which has resulted in Daniel being killed.
“I would urge anyone who was in the area at the time, and who may have seen or heard anything suspicious, to come forward as you may hold significant information.”
One witness, a woman, has come forward to help police with details of the incident but they want to more who saw what happened.
She said: “We also want to trace another young black woman who was speaking to Daniel immediately prior to the shooting, and was present through the incident and stayed behind to help. However she left before police arrived and again we need to speak with her as a matter of urgency.
“I believe there were also a number of other black women at the bus stop who fled after the incident, and again we need them to come foreword and make themselves known.”
Anyone who can assist should call the incident room on (020) 8721 4868; if you wish to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Three men were arrested near the scene and taken to south
London police stations. All have now been eliminated from the inquiry and released with no further action.