NFL team Jacksonville Jaguars to touch down at Westfield Stratford City backed by cheerleaders
- Credit: Archant
Top American football team the Jacksonville Jaguars will be touching down at Westfield Stratford City to give fans a chance to get up close and personal with their favourite players.
The Florida-based National Football League (NFL) team, which has committed to playing one game a season at Wembley Stadium for three years, will be taking over the Newham mega mall this Saturday, May 10, backed by a chorus of glamorous cheerleaders.
At the same time stateside one of the biggest weekend’s in the NFL calendar – the draft pick – will see teams choose from the most talented new players to boost their numbers.
Visiting player, Johnathan Cyprien, said he couldn’t wait to come back to London after playing in an away game last October.
“I had never been to the UK before last season’s game and the support we received from the people of London and the UK was incredible. We had a fantastic time meeting with the UK fans so we’re definitely looking forward to doing that again.
“Hopefully lots of people will come down to Westfield and join in with the excitement.
“Everyone’s welcome, whether they’re fans of the Jags or other teams, and hopefully we’ll get people there who haven’t really experienced much around American football previously. We love the chance to show people what it’s all about!”
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 6 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
- 7 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 8 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 9 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 10 100 people leave Stratford block of flats after fire breaks out
The free event, called Jaguars Live @ Westfield, will include a chance to meet the players and cheerleaders alongside interactive games and giveaways.
Cheerleaders the Roar of the Jaguars will also be hosting a free master class on the day for girls aged eight to 16, at Westfield’s Chestnut Plaza from 9.30am to 11am.
No previous experience is required but places are limited and applications close at midnight on the May 1. Visit nfluk.com/junior-roar-academy to register for a place.
Announcements on the players attending will be made in the coming days, check jaguars.com/uk for more.