Newham youth group wins award for services to the community
- Credit: Kids Count
A borough youth group has been honoured at the Houses of Parliament for helping young people with housing and recreational clubs.
New Choices for Youth, based in Claughton Road, Plaistow, won the award for ‘Best Contribution by a Community Group’ at charity Kids Count’s Inspiration Awards.
It was presented by Sir Mike Penning MP and is given to a community group which has fostered the wellbeing and development of young people in its area.
As well as running a BMX club, youth club and supporting vulnerable young people into housing, New Choices for Youth runs the accredited ‘evolving leaders’ course.
It trains young people to be community leaders and they finish with a qualification that can contribute to their UCAS applications or future career prospects.
You may also want to watch:
The awards ceremony was held on December 5 at the House of Commons with a welcome delivered by Justine Greening MP, Secretary of State for Education.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham
- 10 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021