Newham youth group wins award for services to the community
- Credit: Kids Count
A borough youth group has been honoured at the Houses of Parliament for helping young people with housing and recreational clubs.
New Choices for Youth, based in Claughton Road, Plaistow, won the award for ‘Best Contribution by a Community Group’ at charity Kids Count’s Inspiration Awards.
It was presented by Sir Mike Penning MP and is given to a community group which has fostered the wellbeing and development of young people in its area.
As well as running a BMX club, youth club and supporting vulnerable young people into housing, New Choices for Youth runs the accredited ‘evolving leaders’ course.
It trains young people to be community leaders and they finish with a qualification that can contribute to their UCAS applications or future career prospects.
You may also want to watch:
The awards ceremony was held on December 5 at the House of Commons with a welcome delivered by Justine Greening MP, Secretary of State for Education.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 4 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 5 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 6 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Leyton Orient searching for a new manager as they bid farewell to McAnuff
- 9 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night