Newham youngsters conquer Tesco Great School Run in West Ham
Three primary schools teamed up for a fun run in West Ham Park to help feed children in developing countries.
Pupils from Park Primary, Stratford, Elmhurst Primary, Upton Park and Sandringham Primary, Forest Gate, completed their own two kilometre Tesco Great School Run.
As well as learning the advantages of healthy eating and exercise, the young runners got family and friends to sponsor them to raise cash for Mary’s Meals, who set up school feeding projects in some of the world’s poorest countries.
World, European and Olympic athletics medallist Andy Turner was at the starting line to cheer the youngsters on on May 11. He said: “Our main focus is getting kids excited about the run.
“We want to get them revved up and ready to race, but it’s also important that they learn other ways to live a healthy lifestyle, such as the best foods to eat.”
John Smith, PE co-ordinator at Park Primary School, said: “The event has really captured the children’s imagination – highlighting the importance of exercise and healthy eating. The children have been raring to go and it has been a great experience for everyone involved.”
Schools can organise their own Tesco Great School Run between May 8 and July 23.
- 1 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 2 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 3 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 4 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 5 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 6 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
- 7 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 10 Latest data shows Covid admissions rising again at east London hospitals
Registration is open until Friday online at www.greatschoolrun.org and teacher will receive a pack through the post containing race numbers, a poster, and a teachers’ guide.