Newham youngsters conquer Tesco Great School Run in West Ham
Three primary schools teamed up for a fun run in West Ham Park to help feed children in developing countries.
Pupils from Park Primary, Stratford, Elmhurst Primary, Upton Park and Sandringham Primary, Forest Gate, completed their own two kilometre Tesco Great School Run.
As well as learning the advantages of healthy eating and exercise, the young runners got family and friends to sponsor them to raise cash for Mary’s Meals, who set up school feeding projects in some of the world’s poorest countries.
World, European and Olympic athletics medallist Andy Turner was at the starting line to cheer the youngsters on on May 11. He said: “Our main focus is getting kids excited about the run.
“We want to get them revved up and ready to race, but it’s also important that they learn other ways to live a healthy lifestyle, such as the best foods to eat.”
You may also want to watch:
John Smith, PE co-ordinator at Park Primary School, said: “The event has really captured the children’s imagination – highlighting the importance of exercise and healthy eating. The children have been raring to go and it has been a great experience for everyone involved.”
Schools can organise their own Tesco Great School Run between May 8 and July 23.
- 1 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 10 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
Registration is open until Friday online at www.greatschoolrun.org and teacher will receive a pack through the post containing race numbers, a poster, and a teachers’ guide.