Newham youngsters conquer Tesco Great School Run in West Ham
Three primary schools teamed up for a fun run in West Ham Park to help feed children in developing countries.
Pupils from Park Primary, Stratford, Elmhurst Primary, Upton Park and Sandringham Primary, Forest Gate, completed their own two kilometre Tesco Great School Run.
As well as learning the advantages of healthy eating and exercise, the young runners got family and friends to sponsor them to raise cash for Mary’s Meals, who set up school feeding projects in some of the world’s poorest countries.
World, European and Olympic athletics medallist Andy Turner was at the starting line to cheer the youngsters on on May 11. He said: “Our main focus is getting kids excited about the run.
“We want to get them revved up and ready to race, but it’s also important that they learn other ways to live a healthy lifestyle, such as the best foods to eat.”
You may also want to watch:
John Smith, PE co-ordinator at Park Primary School, said: “The event has really captured the children’s imagination – highlighting the importance of exercise and healthy eating. The children have been raring to go and it has been a great experience for everyone involved.”
Schools can organise their own Tesco Great School Run between May 8 and July 23.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 West Ham defender Coufal frustrated with Everton defeat
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
Registration is open until Friday online at www.greatschoolrun.org and teacher will receive a pack through the post containing race numbers, a poster, and a teachers’ guide.