Newham youngster edges closer to winning professional contract
- Credit: Archant
A young footballer from Newham is on the verge of winning a professional contract at a Football League club after progressing to the final stage of a nationwide competition.
Michael Ogboin, of Adamson Road, is one of 22 players who have progressed to the final of Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract competition with the prize, a chance to play for Leyton Orient, Swindon Town or Wycombe Wanderers.
More than 5,000 amateur players from across the country applied for the chance but Michael impressed club representatives and scouts in a trial on Sunday, December 15.
He said: “I’m over the moon and can’t wait to play in front of the coaches and scouts again, it’s such a good opportunity.
“I’ll try my best to keep a cool head and play my normal game in the final, all I can do is my best.”
You may also want to watch:
Michael will now compete in an 11-a-side match against fellow amateur hopefuls at Swindon Town’s County Ground on Sunday, January 12, 2014 for the opportunity to win a contract.
Orient Manager Russell Slade added: “Talent is important, but what we’re after is someone with the right attitude who is willing to give everything and also take things on board and learn.”
- 1 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 2 Women rescued as flat destroyed in Custom House blaze
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 4 Up to 100 drivers thwarted in crackdown on car meets in Newham
- 5 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 6 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 7 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 10 DJ's fundraising bid to help twin return home after months in hospital