Newham youngster edges closer to winning professional contract
- Credit: Archant
A young footballer from Newham is on the verge of winning a professional contract at a Football League club after progressing to the final stage of a nationwide competition.
Michael Ogboin, of Adamson Road, is one of 22 players who have progressed to the final of Samsung’s Win A Pro Contract competition with the prize, a chance to play for Leyton Orient, Swindon Town or Wycombe Wanderers.
More than 5,000 amateur players from across the country applied for the chance but Michael impressed club representatives and scouts in a trial on Sunday, December 15.
He said: “I’m over the moon and can’t wait to play in front of the coaches and scouts again, it’s such a good opportunity.
“I’ll try my best to keep a cool head and play my normal game in the final, all I can do is my best.”
You may also want to watch:
Michael will now compete in an 11-a-side match against fellow amateur hopefuls at Swindon Town’s County Ground on Sunday, January 12, 2014 for the opportunity to win a contract.
Orient Manager Russell Slade added: “Talent is important, but what we’re after is someone with the right attitude who is willing to give everything and also take things on board and learn.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 3 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 4 Thunderstorms, heavy rain forecast as Met Office issues yellow warnings
- 5 West Ham start at Newcastle as Premier League fixtures released
- 6 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 7 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 8 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses