Newham Woodcraft Folk celebrate anniversary with year of fun
- Credit: Archant
Young people are celebrating their youth group’s 80th anniversary with a year-long celebratory challenge.
Newham Woodcraft Folk are inviting former members to join in with the 80 Great Things challenge, which will include camps, activities and supporting the local community.
The items on the challenge list were put forward by members, and the first of them included an eight mile walk across Wanstead Flats, creating art along the way.
The group, which is divided into four age sections, is open to girls and boys aged six and over, and was formed as a breakaway from the Scouting movement.
Chair of Newham Woodcraft Folk, Suzannah Walker, said “Our camps and residential this year will be superb, a fantastic time for us to explore the history of Newham Watersmeet Woodcraft Folk.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s also a time for us to make a positive contribution to our borough; you’ll find us giving 80 things away, getting involved in community gardening, meeting community elders and many more fun and exciting mini events.”
Woodcraft Folk originated in south London in 1924, when it was seen as radical to include both genders in the same youth movement, and the Newham branch, which meets in Forest Gate, was founded ten years later.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory