Newham women’s sports project shortlisted for national award
- Credit: Archant
Olympic women’s boxing hero Nicola Adams says she’s “totally smashed” that a local sports project has been shortlisted for a national award.
Us Girls, who provide sporting opportunities for young women in disadvantaged communities, is one of seven finalists in the Best Sport Project category of the National Lottery Awards.
The winner of the annual search to find the UK’s favourite Lottery-funded project will star in a BBC1 TV show and receive a £2,000 grant.
Nicole Napier, project manager at Us Girls Newham, said: “When you see the girls taking control of their own lives, building confidence step by step and improving their lifestyles, it makes all our hard work and efforts seem worthwhile.”
Gold Medalist and Us Girls president Nicola Adams said: “I am totally smashed that Us Girls has been nominated for a National Lottery Award.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve visited some of the projects and festivals, spoken to the young women and they all say how much being part of the Us Girls network means to them.”
Vote by calling 0844 836 9711 or visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/us-girls before midnight on Wednesday July 24.
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 7 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 8 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed