Newham women’s sports project shortlisted for national award
- Credit: Archant
Olympic women’s boxing hero Nicola Adams says she’s “totally smashed” that a local sports project has been shortlisted for a national award.
Us Girls, who provide sporting opportunities for young women in disadvantaged communities, is one of seven finalists in the Best Sport Project category of the National Lottery Awards.
The winner of the annual search to find the UK’s favourite Lottery-funded project will star in a BBC1 TV show and receive a £2,000 grant.
Nicole Napier, project manager at Us Girls Newham, said: “When you see the girls taking control of their own lives, building confidence step by step and improving their lifestyles, it makes all our hard work and efforts seem worthwhile.”
Gold Medalist and Us Girls president Nicola Adams said: “I am totally smashed that Us Girls has been nominated for a National Lottery Award.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve visited some of the projects and festivals, spoken to the young women and they all say how much being part of the Us Girls network means to them.”
Vote by calling 0844 836 9711 or visit www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/project/us-girls before midnight on Wednesday July 24.
- 1 £10k reward offered one year after fatal stabbing of Stephen Morrisson
- 2 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern welcomes back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 6 Beckton state school outshines top independents in Mandarin competition
- 7 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 8 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 9 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 10 Cyclist casualties on borough's roads rise as more people travel by bike